Mam ji! Are we dirty ?

Visit to slums is inspiring. The smile on little children’s faces and their eagerness to see new books is unmatched. My JRC Mobile library runs every week and caters to 3 evening schools and around 50 children. These children are getting used to the idea of issuing fancy, glossy books (primary education) and returning too. They wait eagerly for every Thursday evening for JRC mobile library.

Today, I decided to go early with a friend on my two-wheeler. As I steered my two wheeler on a rough patch towards slums, we could see many small children running towards us smiling, cheering and shouting.” Good afternoon mam ji! Namaste mam ji”.

There is one particular boy who always greets me with the brightest smiles and expresses his eagerness to study in the evening school. Every time, he tells the same story, his parents didn’t agree. Afterall begging is easier, hard work is less and earning more.

Today he came and said, "Mam ji, I have got my Aadhar card and have enrolled in your evening school, Next week, I will also issue book from the library.”

I patted him and went ahead to issue books. On my return, I saw swarm of little boys around 5-7 years of age sitting on my two-wheeler, touching each and every part of my Activa. Few had running noses; they were wiping their noses with bare hands and touching.

I spoke sternly to get away from my two-wheeler. That same boy and few other said, “Mam ji, if we sit on your seat or touch your two-wheeler, it will get dirty! You consider us dirty, isn’t it?” They lowered their head and their smiles vanished.

I replied cheerfully, “Children! You are not dirty, my Activa is dirty. If you touch, you will smear your hands with dirt. Look, there is a layer of thick dirt all around.” They all smiled as they slid their fingers along the rear aspect. On seeing a layer of dirt on their fore finger, they exclaimed, “Mam ji! You are right, we are not dirty.” They smiled and retreated.

As I started the ignition, I asked them, “What do you want to eat next week?”

“Apples “, they said in a chorus.

On my way back, I recollected the incident and realized, my few words had acted like a moral booster for them. They are so used to being shooed away, it is drilled in their system. I smiled as I remembered their happy faces, “Mam ji we are not dirty.” 

Deep inside, I know on my next visit, few more children will come forward to study. 

The ice had been broken.

I upheld my vision of “Lets ignite the mind: before we light the Diyas.” JRC Theme for year 2023-24

Love,

Juju

 

Comments

Daisy said…
Loved your answer. Such a positive thought.

Popular posts from this blog

What men want?

An Open Letter #Part 2