An ode to my “Couch”

 An ode to my “Couch”

 

In life, we have people on whom we depend daily, who act as our standby and many a times our cushions and shock absorbers. This write up is dedicated to couch which has stood the test of time since last sixteen years. There has been change of place, change of cover etc. Not once has it ever let me down.

Here is my six by one-and-a-half-foot couch which was tailor made with a comfortable forty-five-degree angle back rest. Sensing my discomfort in my last trimester, my soul mate ordered this couch. I have spent restless nights during my last trimester in a fairly comfortable way. This acted like an additional bed, many a times as emergency space in order to clean the bed. It has been a witness to the growing years of my monks. It took pride in laying out their board games, their arguments, their reconciliation, heard innumerable discussions and stories on various topics

When my monks entered primary school, it’s utility started declining and soon it seemed like a space occupying object. Someone suggested to post it on OLX a site where things (used/ new) are sold and bought. With a heavy heart, I clicked all possible profiles of my couch to be put up on social media. As my partner was about to upload, I heard a shallow weep. In my heart I knew my couch was weeping as it was being put up for sale. That moment, I decided to take it to my office at my work place. The very next day, I felt my couch had a different feel.

Soon, this couch was set up in my office. It adjusted very well with the other furniture. Change of place led to a makeover and my couch looked beautiful. Many a times, my monks would come straight from school to my office, rest on the couch and leave for home. My friends and colleagues who came found themselves on the couch. This served as a resting place to tired feet, straining backs and cluttered minds. My friends would call up and say, “Feeling very tired today, chai pilaygi? You do your work and I will rest on the couch.”

Soon, this was a hot spot for my tea sessions where everything under the sun was discussed. My couch beamed with life and was a part of all conversations. Only the privileged were offered couch, for others there were office chairs.

This couch has been a part of my second innings and holds a special place. Now, it has entered my third innings as an Author. At times, I feel just like the famous saying, “Walls have ears!”, I believe even our permanent furniture have ears and even develop an emotional quotient too over years

I feel so for my couch, how about you ?

Love,

Juju.

Comments

Unknown said…
I too had the privilege to sit on that couch with our common friend ☺️
Hey so correctly defined.. ur couch has that Midas touch...turning all ur sorrows into smiles... It's been a privilege.. luv u always 🙂❤️❤️
Daisy said…
True. Some pieces of furniture are witness to our life's joys & tribulations both. And we tend to attach an emotional value to it & it becomes invaluable.

Popular posts from this blog

Mam ji! Are we dirty ?

An Open Letter #Part 2

What men want?