Free-lancing!

Free-lancing!

 

Hello readers,

Since last five months or so, I am facing a crisis situation ever since my long-term house helper left the job suddenly as her children were going to Dubai. Since then, no helper is staying for longer than 1 week period. I have given chance to so many of them, that I have lost count. The shortest time period is one day.

These days, house help are in demand. There is always shortage. To combat this, each helper has taken many houses to improve their financial status. Recently, I learnt about few maids in a prime location with catchment houses exceeding their physical limitations. The way out is to skip houses in rotation (day offs), do other houses and so on. The salary of extra 2-3 houses is like a bonus. As on a single day they work in designated number of houses, and keep this cycle of rotation and day off.

Yesterday, incident was out of league. As usual a Nepali lady came enquiring about work. I told her about cleaning the houses and utensils. To which she replied, “Madamji! I am a cook. I was told you need a cook. But if you will insist, I will do the cleaning part.”

I replied, “I have a cook, I need help for the said work.”

Immediately. Her eyes lit up and she said, “I will ask my sister-in-law. She is into free-lancing.”

I was surprisingly shocked, “Free - lancing?”

She said, “Yes, free-lancing. It means you fix up working hours and salary and the work you want her to do. She is multi-talented. She has "khula khaata for work". Means you need to decide the work areas prior to hiring her. Unlike me, I can only cook food.”

A smile came up and I said, “Please send your free -lancer tomorrow.”

That’s another story that this lady went back to Nepal without informing. My search is still on. But I loved the use of this word in a maid's vocabulary. Seems like corporate culture is seeping in Maids community too. 

Love,

Juju.

Comments

Komal Singla said…
Lol.. this was funny!
Daisy said…
Hahaha…freelancing…loved it. Actually, she used the right term.
Yes... The ultimate future battle 😁

Popular posts from this blog

Mam ji! Are we dirty ?

What men want?

An Open Letter #Part 2