Doctor! What should I do?

Doctor Diary Entries

Doctor! What should I do?

Disclaimer: Non -fiction anecdotes. Names have not been used to maintain privacy.

There is one NRI patient who comes every year for her ultrasound – mainly mammography, abdominal and pelvis studies. It’s been more than two years now that she has visited my centre. I pray to almighty for her well-being.

She works as a registered nurse in some foreign country (can’t recollect the name). She used to come to meet her daughter who was five years and living with her parents.

During initial check-ups, it used to be a very professional conversation. Gradually, she became more than just a patient. She had come to India for silicone breast implants and a follow up mammogram. During her next visit she told me her implant had leaked and she had to get it done again. During that particular visit, I noticed change in her appearance too. She confided, “Doctor, I come to India for cosmetic surgeries. Last year I had come for silicon breast implants. Now I have come for lip fillers, cheek contouring, tummy tuck and enhanced back.”

My jaw literally dropped and I couldn’t help but ask, “Why so many surgeries? What do you do? Are you into films?” She said, “No, doctor! I am a registered nurse.” I did not utter a word and gave her the reports. While collecting her reports, she politely asked, “Doctor, can I see you when you are free! I want to share my story “I replied, “Sure, we can sit once I am through with my patients.” She went to do her chores and returned.

Suddenly she started sobbing softly and said, “Doctor, I am tired of these plastic surgeries. I want to be a mother to my daughter. I want to take my daughter with me,” I just listened silently. She continued, “My husband is very particular about my physical appearance. Every year he suggests a plastic surgery and forces me to get it done from India. Chance of seeing my daughter always motivates me. I spend all my savings on these surgeries. He wants to change my look.” She pulled out a photo from her purse and said, “See, this picture. This is how I used to look, now I feel like a mannequin. I don’t recognize the person I see in the mirror every day.”

She started crying inconsolably. " Ours was a love marriage. I went against my parents to marry him. I have changed everything to make him happy. Still, he finds a fault in something or other, Plus, he doesn’t want to keep our daughter with us. He feels the baby will intrude into our privacy.”, she concluded. We sat in silence. We had another round of tea. Finally, she spoke, “Thank you mam! for your patient listening. Please guide me.”

I took a deep breath trying to assimilate what I had just heard in the last one hour.It definitely didn't sound real. I silently prayed to God for the right words. Words blurted out from my mouth. 

"Please show me your husband’s pic, what does he do by profession?"I enquired. She pulled out a photograph from her purse and said, “He is a Hair stylist and works in a Unisex Salon.” I couldn’t believe, what I saw!  In the picture, I saw a middle-aged man with receding hairline, unkempt beard, stained yellow teeth and a protruding belly. “You are doing to please this man?”, I pointed at his picture. She said, “He is my husband. He has this fancy of a perfect wife and forces me to undergo these life-threatening procedures. Doctor! what should I do ? What should I change?”

“Live your life, your way, take your daughter with you. And this time, Change, your husband,” I replied softly and gave her a re-assuring glance. She smiled, thanked me and left. I could see a confidence in her stride.  

I have not seen her since last two years. Hope all is well at her end.  

This patient's story was an eye opener (Seems like a script of some movie.)

Keep reading, keep sharing. Keep loving, keep caring.

Love,

Juju

Comments

Neeta Goyal said…
Loving, by no means, is equal to being a slave. I am all praise for your prescription doctor !
Daisy said…
You hit the nail on the head. Perfect prescription Doc. I loved it “change your husband” πŸ˜‚
Profound diagnosis 😻🫢🏻
Best consultation ….. proud of you dear

Popular posts from this blog

Mam ji! Are we dirty ?

What men want?

An Open Letter #Part 2