Cambridge School # My alma mater


Cambridge School # My alma mater


Lock down is doing wonders in every sphere of my life – personal, spiritual, emotional, innovative, creative. The tape of my life is in auto-rewind mode and  every day gets stuck in one particular time zone and I start seeing the film of “My Life “  like a spectator. This time my tape rewinds to forty years ago and I can see a beautiful, huge grey blue multi-storeyed building in Srinivaspuri, Ring Road, New Delhi. Oh ! that,s my alma mater –Cambridge School whose motto is ‘ We learn to serve”.

As I enter my school, I am greeted by our security guard whose moustach was one of its own kind, rolled till cheek, cut into square shape at end – typical Rajasthani style. The guard has an ear to ear smile and allows me in. I see a huge open area where a number of buses are parked with numbers E-1 to E-18, all DTC buses which run as school buses in morning and when school gets over. I enter in a huge reception area where Mr. Arora, our receptionist greets with a smile and hands over paper and pen to write my name and purpose of visit. There was pin drop silence with only sound of professional leather men’s shoe one after another. Oh gosh! Principal Sir, Dr. B.K. Nair is on school rounds. My heart starts beating faster and faster. Suddenly, our Vice Principal Sir, Mr. Sinha comes and takes me to my class room. My first teacher Ms Kewal Rumani, tall slender built clad in a neatly pinned up saree with spectacle and a tight hair bun. She has a very stern yet a gentle expression. “ So, you are a new admission, welcome to Prep A and take your seat.” (Since, its in sub conscious mind, hence tense is present).

From here my life,s most beautiful journey commenced, which made me what I am today and I am very proud of all my teachers, school friends and everyone who touched my life during that time period. Teachers were strict yet gentle. Principal Sir seemed unapproachable on other hand Vice Principal Mr. Sinha Sir was everyone,s favorite, more like a friend. The value of chewing food thirty two times before taking the next bite was drilled in our prep class by Ms Kewal Rumani who had an eagle,s eye during lunch break. There were no CCTV camera,s yet all the teacher,s knew about all of us- maybe their third eye.

Discipline was a way of life. Morning assembly started with Sanskrit recite of ‘ Sangachhadam, samvd… and dispersal on beat of school band to Jana gana mana adhinayak ji ho ……..song.  A huge bronze bell hung in the central courtyard which screamed when period was over and went on dong -dong once school got over. Never realized how school years just went by. Few friends left school in early classes, few joined in later classes, our class sections increased from five to eight. All through these years, Verma book stall and Guptaji,s canteen were like rock steady through out. 

There are so many teachers, I want to express gratitude to. To name a few,  Mrs. Nair, Mrs.Verma, Mrs.Mathur,Ms Dutt, Mrs Dutta, Mrs. Dhingra, Miss Bindu Jain, Mrs. Renu Satija, Mrs. Kalucha,  Mrs. Rathoori, Mrs. Watal, Mrs. Raikhey, Mr. Mathur, Mr. Srivastava, Mr. Deva, Mr. Khurana, Mrs. Beena Jain, Mrs. Anand, Mr. Rastogi, Mazumdar Sir, Dance Sir, Thapa Sir, Khatri Sir, Gulati Sir, Ms Relen , Mrs. Kalsi, Mrs. Kaul, our British Librarian Mrs Carol Sharma, Singh Sir- Crafts,Mrs. Sharmila, Mrs. Bhalla, Mr. Karanjanwala. My memory can,t recollect all the names (please forgive me my noble teachers in case I missed your name).

Our school had students from every religion, caste and every place in India. Unity in diversity was an unwritten law.  Our main concern was learning and other extra-curricular activities. Principal Sir made sure we had a versatile exposure with regular inter-house activities, annual day, Annual sports day. From plays by Barry John- Spic Macay to dances by Raja & Radha Reddy to elocutions/ debates at Ramakrishna mission, students had an all round exposure.

After so many years, rather decades, thanks to social media, our batch got connected and we made a whatsapp group. Since lock down, interaction has increased and feeling of “Back to school” has seeped in. So, thought of penning own my thoughts. My heartfelt thanks to my friend who encouraged me to wear spectacles in class, my friend who cheered when I had orthodontic treatment,  my friends who tolerated me when I was a class monitor ( a real harsh and strict one).One of the cherished memories is trip to “Appu Ghar” in class eight. Around fifteen to sixteen friends in two cars – one was Manit Jain,s ( remember Manit! ) and other one was mine. All of us had a gala time. Special thanks to each and every classmate in this beautiful, memorable journey.

Going down memory lane, has made me much more aware of how I behaved at that age. This is really helping me in understanding my children,s behavior.Feeling of nostalgia is sweeping over. Fingers are not moving on keyboard (Awwwh!)

I forgot to mention our Sister,s clinic at end of primary block near our magnanimous ground. Sister Elizabeth was a trained nurse. She had colored medicines with tangy minty aroma for stomachache , fever and cough. She was an expert in applying throat paint. We had dental checkups by a dentist who  was a hairy doctor with thick moustache and spectacles. When our class turn came, everyone was scared of their cavities being detected.

Hoping to meet all of my friends soon once this Corona crisis is over.

Take care,

Love,

Juju
(Reemanshu)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Its a 🧙‍♀️ magical wand not a 🖊 pen.
I can visualise it all.It takes me back too.
Excellent expression of gratitude.
Loved it
Daisy said…
You have elephant memory.As you write, I can see it happening in front of my eyes. Beautifully woven piece. Thanks for letting me relive those cherished days.
Monicaa Grover said…
Wow reemanshu ... Beautifully written ..Each line Takes me down the memory lane .. Thanks for sharing dear...
Bharat said…
Excellent reminisce..thank you for taking us on that memory trip. Nicely written brings it all in front of eyes as it happened..
Unknown said…
Beautiful memories rekindled ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Hitesh Ahuja said…
VOW!! That's some walk down the memory
Lane. Those sure were the best days of my
Life too.. You have made me relive those moments
Once again...the receptionist..verma book depot,
Canteen wale gupta ji, names of all our teachers
And the so very unforgettable Appu Ghar trip.
Thanx Reemanshu for refreshing it all!
Neeti said…
Wow ! Such a warm nostalgic feeling I got reading this. It brought a smile and took me back to so many of my own cherished memories ❤️

Deepali Rao said…
Such a vivid and nostalgic memory down the lane. I so agree with you that the all round exposure, values and discipline instilled in each one of us during those formative years is the cause of whatever each one of us are today. I loved your writing and description ...... keep it up
Deepshikha said…
Wonderful. Very vivid description.
Unknown said…
Hi Reemanshu. I was with you at Cambridge till grade 6. Then we moved to the US. It was a lifetime ago but reading this post took me back to some of the best memories of childhood. Ms. Kewal Rumani, I remember and Mrs. Dhingra. Wasn’t she the one who hit our knuckles with a ruler? Some other names I remember from that time are Renu, Sonia Bhalla, Meenakshi Verma. It was so long ago and these are the only classmates I remember besides you. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. ~Kamal

Popular posts from this blog

Mam ji! Are we dirty ?

What men want?

An Open Letter #Part 2