Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Midlife Crisis or Awakening?

Midlife Crisis or Awakening?

Perhaps the most dangerous thing a woman can do in midlife is to become honest with herself.

Because once you begin asking the questions you have spent decades avoiding, there is no easy way back.

I know.

I have started asking them.

Not the polite questions.

Not the ones that make everyone comfortable.

The uncomfortable ones.

Is this the life I chose—or the life I slowly settled into?

When did I become so good at being needed that I forgot what it felt like to be wanted?

How much of me did I give away in the name of love, responsibility, duty, motherhood, marriage, success… and being “the strong one”?

For years, I wore my identities like medals.

Doctor.
Mother.
Wife.
Daughter.
Teacher.
Caregiver.
Achiever.

I showed up.

Again and again.

Even when I was exhausted.

Even when I was hurting.

Even when a small, rebellious voice inside me whispered, What about you?

I silenced that voice.

There was always something more important.

Someone who needed me.

A responsibility waiting.

A deadline.

A family.

A profession.

A life.

And then, somewhere in the middle of all that living, something inside me changed.

Not dramatically.

There was no thunderclap.

No cinematic moment.

Just a quiet realization that arrived one morning and refused to leave:

I cannot spend the rest of my life being a version of myself that keeps everyone else comfortable.

That realization frightened me.

Because awakening doesn't always feel like freedom.

Sometimes it feels like grief.

You grieve the years you cannot retrieve.

The dreams you postponed.

The woman you once were.

The woman you might have become.

You grieve people.

Places.

Versions of home.

Versions of yourself.

And sometimes, inexplicably, you grieve even while sitting inside a life that looks perfectly fine from the outside.

Perhaps that is what people call a midlife crisis.

The sudden restlessness.

The questioning.

The desire to change things.

The inexplicable urge to begin again.

But what if it isn't a crisis?

What if it is simply clarity arriving late?

What if the discomfort isn't because your life is falling apart?

What if it is because the life you built can no longer contain the woman you have become?

I don't have neat answers.

I still have days when I feel lost.

Days when I am angry.

Days when I am tired of being brave.

Days when I want to disappear—not from life, but from expectations.

And then there are other days.

Days when I write.

When I laugh.

When an idea excites me.

When I say no without writing an apology in my head.

When I catch a glimpse of that girl I once was—the one who believed life could be bigger, wilder, more meaningful.

And I realize she never really disappeared.

She was waiting.

Waiting for me to stop being so busy surviving everyone else's expectations that I could finally hear her.

Maybe that is what midlife gives us.

Not a crisis.

A reckoning.

A chance to look at the life we have lived and ask, with tenderness rather than regret:

What do I want the remaining chapters to feel like?

I don't want to spend the rest of my life proving that I can endure.

I want to experience.

To create.

To teach.

To write.

To love without losing myself.

To give without emptying myself.

To grow older without becoming smaller.

I want fewer performances and more presence.

Less approval.

More truth.

Less should.

More want.

And perhaps, after decades of becoming who I needed to be for everyone else, I am finally learning the most difficult role of all:

becoming myself.

So, is this a midlife crisis?

Maybe.

But I prefer another word.

Awakening.

Because a crisis makes you believe something is ending.

An awakening makes you wonder what might finally begin.

And perhaps that is where I am standing today—

somewhere between everything I have been and everything I am still becoming.

Older, yes.

Wiser, I hope.

A little bruised.

A little rebellious.

A lot more honest.

And wonderfully, gloriously—

not done yet.

Because fifties isn't the epilogue.

It is not the quiet settling down after the interesting parts are over.

It is not a full stop.

It is a comma.

A breath.

A pause before the next sentence.

I’m not done yet.

I’ve just begun.

Juju’s Pearls
From the pages of Momsie Popsie Diary 5.0

 

Maybe you are not falling apart. Maybe you are finally waking up to yourself.

- Juju’s Pearls

 

 

1 comment:

Daisy said...

Such a strong article! It has shaken me to the core. All my neurons are firing up. But , this is expected from a writer of your potential. Way to go Reemanshu. You have arrived as a wrier, an author.

Midlife Crisis or Awakening?

Midlife Crisis or Awakening? Perhaps the most dangerous thing a woman can do in midlife is to become honest with herself. Because once y...