Maybe This Time, Things Are Different
For more than two decades, I have been falling for the same little magic.
A sudden, “Beta, you look tired.”Cooked meals appearing beside me. “Leave it, I’ll do it.” “Have you eaten?” “Don’t work so much.”
And every single time, despite twenty-seven years of experience, something inside me quietly says— “Maybe this time… things are finally falling into place.” Maybe the years have softened us. Maybe the distance has disappeared. Maybe this is the beginning of that easy, affectionate relationship I had secretly hoped for. I enjoy the moment. I smile more. I feel a little closer.
And then, somewhere between the second and the third expression of concern, comes the innocent revelation: “Beta, actually, I have a club trip next week…”
Ah.
The missing piece of the puzzle finally arrives.
Someone needs to look after the house. Papa needs his routine. The son needs his meals and his familiar comforts. The son is my husband (amusing!)
And suddenly, the shower of affection makes perfect logistical sense. I laugh—not with irritation, but with the kind of fond amusement that more than two decades of knowing someone gives you.
Perhaps this isn't manipulation. Perhaps it is simply family management with a very affectionate preface. After all, even love sometimes needs a little delegation. And I have learnt not to question the timing too much. Because the next time I hear,
“Beta, take care…”
I shall still smile as I am apparently still an incurable optimist.
Maybe this time, things really are different. Or perhaps… someone has another club trip coming up.
Let me soak in the moment and enjoy the attention.
Love Juju.
No comments:
Post a Comment