I wish I was on the other side of phone!

 I wish I was on the other side of phone !

 

While talking to an old friend, our conversation drifted to the foundation of marriage. She remarked, “One has to give in a lot in a marriage to make it work.” I was surprised by this remark of give in . I replied, “In a marriage, both partners need to build it up. So, we use the word institution. It is not a sphere where one needs to give in or take out. If one feels one is giving in, then the expectations arise. Only when we build it together, do we realize the true essence of it. ”

These words knocked her out. I could hear silence. I patiently waited for her to come to present. In a couple of seconds, I could hear her hello and we were back on our track. With a feeling of giving in, one has an unseen baggage of expectations whereas in building up, one always strives to give their best without any returns. All the old sayings have deep meanings, although generations have lost on the actual meaning and just clanged on to phrases.

Our conversation steered towards a situation when one spouse takes the other for granted. This seemed to touch my friend’s Achilles point. Her voice quivered as she said, “How I wish I am always on the other side of my husband’s phone!” There was a pause and a palpable silence. I waited for her to continue. She sighed deeply and continued, “My husband is always talks politely to people who call him. And when it comes to me, he always talks in an arrogant, rude tone. I feel it’s best if we talk on the phone.”

This is a very common human behavior to be in their best form when they talk to people outside their home boundaries. When it comes to people living in the house, the tone is usually hurried, annoyed, arrogant or angry. To be the best for the rest! Is how I put it? My friend seemed to enter her shell and abruptly ended the conversation.

After a long time, I adorn my thinking cap. How ironical! One works for his family’s comfort and when time comes to spending time with them, there is always a paucity of time or patience. I am leaving this without a concluding remark as each one has to write his/ her own.

Time to introspect, in a pursuit to make a living for people close to us, one tends to get closer to people outside leading to creation of gaps in families.

Please mind the gap and try your best to fill it or let it not happen in the first place.

Love,

Juju         

Comments

Ashish Patel said…
Very true..
A person tends to act in a more cordial way with someone who he/she doesn't know, and takes for granted the response from the known person

Popular posts from this blog

Mam ji! Are we dirty ?

An Open Letter #Part 2

What men want?