Open letter by Daughter in-law

Sharing one of my popular short story selected as the first story in a Book, Book Launch, January 13th 2024 KLC 24 (Kolkata Literary Carnival 2024). 

An open letter by daughter in-law to her mother in-law

(This is not a grievance letter. It’s my attempt to help you understand our new relation)

Dear mother in-law,

Hope this finds you in good health and a happy state of mind. Ever since I have got married to your son, I have noticed a change in your attitude and behavior. Earlier you seemed very welcoming and happy but now I sense a feeling of insecurity. Do you see me as a threat? I feel so. You seem to be critical about whatever I do or say especially in relation to your son who is now my husband.

We both have a great thing in common and that is love for the same man. I am not here to break ties of a son from his mother. A son you have given birth to and raised him with your heart and soul. I am here to make my own space as a wife and his life partner. 

Please do not burden him like this. I have many aspirations and look forward to a peaceful, harmonious married life. Inadvertently or purposely, you create differences in conveying my thoughts.

A mother has a big heart. All I am requesting is to give me space and time to adjust in your family. I have come from an entirely different background and culture. All this is new and very different. I need time to unlearn and relearn.

Another request, please do not compare me with your other children. They are great as sister/ brother in-laws. Let me build up a relation with them on one to one basis. You should be a secure, loving women. Why this insecurity? 

Please refrain from negative feedback about me to my husband. Most of the times, I never come to know why he is upset? I do have noticed this pattern that after spending time with you and his siblings, he always comes back disempowered with a volatile temperament

Please do not compare me with other daughter in-laws in your friend’s circle. Each human being is different. This alliance happened because of mutual consent between the girl, the boy and their respective families. Then why I am made to feel like a villain on mission to break this home!

Remember how you felt when you got married. The onus is always on elders to make the house environment comfortable for the new bride person. We need to work together to make this work.

I have come as an adult in your life unlike your children whom you have raised up. Let’s respect this beautiful relation of mother in-law and daughter in-law and work towards maintaining its sanctity.

Please communicate if you disapprove of some actions or my ways. If you don’t, then how will I come to know? We need to keep this communication gates always open.

Lets pledge to contribute. Please do not compete with me.

Yours,

Daughter in-law

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mam ji! Are we dirty ?

The NEET Warrior

What men want?